Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ready for Action

There's a storm going on outside tonight, so I find it appropriate to share my favorite storm memory with you.
My dad used to travel quite a bit for work, so my mom and I would be home alone often. She would always get a little stressed when he left. It's also important to note that she's a little overprotective of me (I wasn't allowed to go to Target alone after 7 pm one time. That's a true story).
This particular incident was the day my dad left for a trip to South America. I think I was a Senior in high school. I got home from school when my mother found me to inform me that there was a tornado watch in our county. I called my best friend and started a conversation about something super important, I'm sure. As we talked, my mother informed me that it had changed into a warning and it was going to be disastrous. Time to get into Action mode. Your father is gone, and we are on our own. I am woman, hear me roar! Find and save: a flashlight, radio, snacks, and the dogs. Meet up in the laundry room ASAP to practice exactly what we're gonna do when we get hit by this monster (I'm not kidding. We practiced).
Meanwhile, my best friend was still on the phone with me... Sitting in the living room with her mom, right beside the bay window, watching jeopardy. If a tornado shows up, we'll sprint to the bathroom. Until then, we've got more important things to think about.
My question for you: who's crazier in this situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment